Monday, October 06, 2014

Inconvenient Truths


  • It is impossible to reason with someone who doesn't understand computers.
  • The most delectable-looking dessert recipes on Pinterest always turn out to be written in Polish.
  • You can go to Trader Joe's on a Sunday or you can keep your sanity. 
  • The people who design those impossibly detailed Jack-o-lantern patterns are sadists.
  • Benedict Cumberbatch is never going to fall in love with me.

Tomorrow we are having our circuit-breaker box replaced, which doesn't seem to fit in neatly with the list above, except that it is true and it IS inconvenient.  There's nothing like spending a metric ton of money and getting a permit from the city and a fire department inspection just to maintain the status quo.  It's not like our electricity is malfunctioning.  It works fine, except for the one outlet that trips the breaker if we try to plug the vaccuum cleaner into it.

The electricity project, by the way, has nothing to do with my facebook page drama from yesterday, in which I called 911 on the men who showed up at our house, claiming they were there to work on the gutters.  I was at work, but Grace called me to tell me that she was home alone and there were three strange men on the roof so I called Jon and he hadn't hired anyone to work on the gutters, so I freaked out and called 911.  And then the police came and the gutter men had an actual work order and it turned out that our painting contractor from LAST YEAR sent them, which he neglected to tell us.  So that was lovely and everybody was mad at me for not intuiting the situation.

I regret the misunderstanding, but it really was not my fault.  I assumed the gutter guys were running some sort of scam--claiming we'd hired them and then forcing us to pay or something like that, like those guys who won't take no for an answer when they want to shovel your driveway or rake your leaves.  I once had a terrifying encounter with a deranged man who tried to kill my sister and me with a shovel because we refused to hire him, so I think I had a legitimate reason to call for assistance.

    11 comments:

    1. You were right to call 911. Every time I'm outside trying to contain the ivy that's threatening to take over my house, or shoveling, or raking leaves someone comes by and wants me to pay them to do it. I maintain a firm grip on the shovel while declining.

      ReplyDelete
    2. I agree with Not Beehive, you were wise to have called 911.

      ReplyDelete
    3. I second the motion to call 911. I may have called them myself last week for a bunch of rather rowdy, drunk at 2 am on a Monday group that turned out to be neighbors myself. I think the entire town is sort of jittery right now.

      Also, you can either sub or add "Whole Foods" to your Trader Joes/sanity on a Sunday choice.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Yes, but Whole Food doesn't have the horrible parking lot that TJ's has. Why in the world did they design a lot in which it is impossible to find the way out?

        Delete
    4. You were totally right to call 911, especially since you weren't home to talk to them! And it's totally the contractor's fault, not yours.

      ReplyDelete
    5. I would have called 911 too. I don't have to know how old Grace is to know that it was an alarming situation for her to be in.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. She's 18, and she was furious with me for calling. Oh well.

        Delete