Tuesday, November 18, 2014

Another weekend

I feel like every week has four days rather than seven.  Monday/Tuesday is really one massive day, Wednesday kind of hangs out by itself, Thursday through Friday afternoon is another day, and then Friday afternoon through Sunday evening is the fourth.  In case anyone is interested, here's what I did on the fourth day of last week.  Friday, Jon and I went to Brookville for dinner.  I really wanted to try it, but I was also a bit anxious, assuming it would be snooty. It turned out to be friendly, with an interesting menu.  We shared some small plates: collards cooked in bacon with a lovely soft-cooked egg swimming in the pot liquor, a plate of small sausages with maple syrup and a creamy mustard sauce, fried oysters, and an enormous biscuit filled with goat cheese and red pepper jelly.  Our table was by the window, overlooking the skating rink, so it was like sitting next to a giant music box, with all the skaters perpetually circling.  Overall an enjoyable evening, though we went to Harris-Teeter after and did the week's grocery shopping.

Saturday morning, to mix things up, I skipped Barre class and walked to the gym for TRX instead.  Are you familiar with this?  You hang from long straps attached to the wall and use your own body weight as resistance through various moves.  It was definitely a good core workout, and more upper body than I usually get. "Hang" makes it sound scary, but you always have either both feet or both hands on the ground.

I jogged/walked home and emptied out the pantry and found the source of the moths that have been plaguing us; a forgotten bag of rye flour at the far back of a shelf.  I made an inventory of everything before I put the items back--a tip I learned from The Frugal Queen.  I feel like a dolt for not figuring this out on my own, but I definitely waste money buying things we already have because the pantry is such a mess and I never know what's in it.  Now I can plan meals around all the random bags of black eyed peas and other stray items AND find a use for the two cans of sweetened, condensed milk that have been lurking back there for who knows how long.  And that was quite enough activity for one day.  I spent the rest of Saturday knitting and reading Ankle Deep by Angela Thirkell.

Sunday, fearful I'd have another confrontation with the self-appointed squeaky machine monitor, I skipped the gym and went for a run instead.  I rarely run these days.  I had become such a slave to my running schedule that it wasn't fun anymore.  This time, I took a camera and stopped to take pictures along the way, and didn't berate myself for walking breaks. I got to the railroad crossing just as a train was approaching. I love it when that happens, as long as I can get to the other side in time.



I ran into Riverview Cemetary and back, and took a lot of not-very good pictures.  At home, I made Kimchee.  It won't be ready to eat for a few days.  I've been reading about the benefits of fermented foods and I attended the Kimchee-making demonstration at the Charlottesville Vegetarian Festival a few weeks ago.  It's a pretty simple process and I needed a use for the big bag of hot pepper powder leftover from Seamus' Korean cooking kick. More knitting and reading, and now here we are on the backside of Monday/Tuesday with another weekend to look forward to.
How was your weekend?


7 comments:

  1. It sounds like a lovely weekend of dining, exercise, and organizing your cupboards. I just did my pantry items recently. It does help inspire a meal or two finding the odd item you forgot about. Mostly, we tried to survive homework around here. On Sunday, I attending a half-day silent meditation retreat. It was not fatal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My husband is a big meditator, but I don't think I could survive a meditation retreat.

      Delete
  2. Do you like chai? This chai concentrate is so good and you can use up the sweetened condensed milk to make it.

    http://www.oregonlive.com/foodday/index.ssf/2008/06/recipe_detail.html?id=7109

    Also - just found another Laurie Colwin book at the JMRL sale and always want to thank you for telling me about her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do like chai. I will check that out! And I'm happy to hear you like Laurie Colwin too.It's a terrible loss that she died so young.

      Delete
  3. I used to make kimchee. It was pretty good. The only thing I've used condensed milk for is wonder bars.I know what's in my pantry, more or less, but my husband sure doesn't. Like he thought we needed maple syrup but there were two huge bottles there. Right there. Behind something else.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hear you on the pantry errors. I used to make those, too. I've become better on that front.
    That TRX work out sounds like fun!

    ReplyDelete