Friday, December 05, 2014

Friday Reading Assignment: Adventures of Sherlock Holmes

The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes, by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle is another one from the fifty classics project.  I dreaded reading it.  One day when I was young, my grandfather said, "Sherlock Holmes is all very well, but one must read his historical novels."  So a copy of The White Company was produced for me to read, and I dutifully read it, found it to be a bit of a slog and concluded that Sherlock Holmes was probably a big bore as well.



It turned out not to be a bore, but instead a quick, entertaining read.  The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes is not the collected works about Holmes, (which is what I assumed before reading it) but is the first collection of short stories about him, published in 1892 after A Study in Scarlett and The Sign of Four.  Most of the cases in this collection are about people playing malicious tricks or manipulating others, not actual crimes.  Holmes himself is as quirky as Benedict Cumberbatch's portrayal of him, and indulges in cocaine now and then, which was a surprise.  But who can blame him?

Gratuitous picture of Benedict Cumberbatch

5 comments:

  1. I've never read any Sherlock Holmes nor watched the show or any movies about him. If it's entertaining as you say, I might juts check it out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. (Somewhere we saw where you should say "Benedict Cumberbatch" to the tune of "Another One Bites the Dust" and so now, that's how we say his name, every time. Try it, it's fun!)

      Delete
  2. That is a lovely gratuitous picture. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've read his stuff and I liked it. Quirky is right!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so grateful to you for the gratuitous picture of Mr Cumberbund. I needed it. Thank you.

    Wait. Was this a post about a book?

    ReplyDelete