Friday, December 19, 2014

Friday reading assignment: Holiday indulgences

I'm reading War and Peace right now, and having a hard time getting into it.  As the title suggests, the action shifts from the battlefield to the drawing rooms of St. Petersburg and Moscow.  It's the battlefield scenes I'm having difficulty with.  So I went to the library and got something different to read over the holidays.  If it's Christmas, I ought to be able to read something comfortable and fun, right?



The Wolves of Willoughby Chase by Joan Aiken.  Yes, a children's book, and one of my favorites.  I'm re-reading it and then I'll read the others in this series, which I have never read.  I picked this book off the library shelf at random, when I was ten years old.  It was around Christmas time and my family had just moved.  I *hated* my new school and was generally miserable, so this book about a girl who is sent to a horrible, abusive boarding school was perfect.



Getting it Right by Elizabeth Jane Howard.  The first sentence of the blurb: "Gavin Lamb is a thirty-one year old virgin hairdresser who lives in London...."  How could that not turn out to be awesome?



The Cranford Chronicles by Elizabeth Gaskell.  SO excited to read this.  I have seen all the excellent BBC movies made from Elizabeth Gaskell Novels (Cranford, Wives and Daughters, and North and South) and I've been dying to read her for ages.

Not continuing to struggle with War and Peace until after the holidays is my Christmas present to myself.  Are you planning any fun reads for the holidays?

3 comments:

  1. Currently I'm reading David Sedaris, "Naked".

    I had to look up the 'new' major motion picture made from the Elizabeth Jane Howard book - starring a young Helena Bonham Carter. Sounds like a fun read.

    ReplyDelete
  2. During the day (whenever time permits, which isn't often just now) I am reading serious stuff: "The New Jim Crow". But at bedtime I am reading for fun. I just finished "Call the Midwife". And today it's time to go back to the library for more fun books.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fun....I have Lila by Marilyn Robinson waiting for me.

    ReplyDelete