Tuesday, January 06, 2015

Cleaned Bathroom is Clean


I believe it is customary in most households for the bathrooms to be cleaned weekly. Certainly, that was the routine when I was growing up, but as an adult I fell out of the habit. Instead, we would wait until either the bathroom was so gross we couldn't stand it anymore, or there were guests coming, and then do a massive clean.  Then I read UFYH's "Beginner's guide to cleaning the bathroom" and have made it my Sunday morning routine to follow her process.  Any you know what?  My bathroom is so much cleaner!



I KNOW, Captain Obvious, but I guess what I didn't realize is that this is way preferable than exhausting, stressful, massive bathroom unfuckings.

Also related to bathroom cleaning:  I am a big fan of the old toothbrush as a tool for cleaning grout and hard-to-reach places.  There never seems to be a toothbrush available when I need one; they get thrown away; they're unsuitable for some reason, etc. Then yesterday, as I scrubbed the shower grout, it hit me: WHY NOT JUST BUY ONE SPECIFICALLY FOR CLEANING?

Revolutionary
Seriously, I have been cleaning bathrooms since I was about eight years old and this simple solution did not occur to me until January 4th, 2015.  I have literally spent the last twenty three years fretting about the dearth of cleaning toothbrushes that are available to me.

I wonder what lessons the rest of 2015 has in store for me.  And you?  Have you ever been thunderstruck by the obvious?




12 comments:

  1. Do people really wipe bathroom walls on a regular basis? I think my paint would disappear if I did that weekly.

    Here's my bathroom tip: send any male children to college. Once my son left, the bathroom was miraculously cleaner. No one stands up to pee and misses the bowl, and no one slops water all over the counter while shaving.

    Also, I know they're wasteful, but I love Lysol wipes as an in-between cleaning solution for counters and the toilet seat.

    My son shares a bathroom with seven other boys at college and they didn't have a toilet brush for the first semester (I bought him one last month). Counters got a wipe-down now and then, but rumor has it that the shower has never been cleaned. I'll wait while everyone here gags and throws up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seven boys in one bathroom? That is a recipe for disaster. When Ian was at school, he shared with three other boys and that was bad enough.

      Delete
  2. My teens are required to clean their bathroom weekly -- Saturday mornings when they're also changing the sheets on their beds and vacuuming the upstairs.

    I also broke down and started using those tablets that you drop in toilet tanks. It's not environmentally friendly, but the trade off is that our toilets stay cleaner for longer.

    And yes, it took me until about 2013 to figure out that toothbrushes aren't the right tool for cleaning. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bought the toilet tablets recently too, but I got disappointing results. Maybe it was because I bought the Food Lion brand.

      Delete
  3. I always say, it's a great idea to have two bathrooms, but in reality, that means you have to clean two bathrooms. And I fail at that miserably. Edie has already figured out, if you pull the shower curtain shut, your bathroom looks cleaner.
    I found a fantastic scrub brush that is long & narrow, made specifically for scrubbing grout that I use in my shower, which is always fucked, no matter how much I scrub it. I think the wrong grout was used in it. But I still keep toothbrushes around for scrubbing faucets.
    As for my thunderstruck by the obvious, I just had a huge one and it's an upcoming blog post.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the obvious....it's right up there with hindsight....happy new year!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow. I don't think I've EVER cleaned a bathroom that much, and I've been cleaning them since my parents house. Wipe down the WALLS? We're lucky if I clean the toilets once a week, and vacuum the hair from the floor :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought the wall cleaning was excessive too, but our main bathroom has white painted beadboard about 3/4 of the way up the wall and it does get surprisingly dirty.

      Delete
  6. I think this is how our cleaning lady does it, but I prefer to use Bon Ami on the sinks and tub/shower. Were they talking about the shower walls or the actual walls? Now I am wondering...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm pretty sure she's talking about the actual walls, because she mentions cleaning the shower stall separately.

      Delete
  7. Thanks To sharing Excellent information with us... It is very useful and informative..I like it..

    ReplyDelete