Monday, January 26, 2015

Completed: Plaid bias cut A-line skirt

It took longer than I expected to finish my skirt.  First, there was a snafu with the online fabric shop.  I ordered a dark gray acetate lining and they sent me stretchy turquoise polyester.  Their customer service department rectified the mistake, but it took so long for the correct lining to arrive that I got impatient and went to Les Fabriques, downtown, and found a $6 remnant that would work as a lining.  The correct lining finally arrived and I have decided to save it for a future project.  They let me keep the stretchy turquoise polyester, and I'm going to use it for practice sewing with knits.

Anyway,  issues with the lining aside, I also had serious problems with the zipper.  After I got all the seams sewn and the zipper in, I tried on the skirt and there was a weird bulge along the zipper.



The picture above doesn't do justice to the, ahem, manliness of the zipper bulge.  The Flight of the Conchords' song, "Sugarlumps" comes to mind. You can't walk around in public looking like you're wearing a codpiece on your backside.  Luckily, I discovered that this is a common problem with zippers in bias seams.  The solution is to rip out the zipper, steam the seam back into shape, stabilize the fabric with interfacing and put the zipper again.  After following these steps, there is still a suggestion of a bump, but at least it isn't obscene.


Plaid matching at the side seam
Plaid matching FAIL on this side
So, two out of three matching seams is not bad for a novice, I guess.  As I said in my previous post about this skirt, it was somehow impossible to get all three seams to match.  Oh well, I always carry my bag on that side.

My next project is a knitted wrap to wear in my freezing office.  As long as I'm in my cube, I'm wrapped into a ratty old afghan, winter and summer, but it is way too sloppy and unprofessional to wear to the conference room, which is even colder than my cube.  I'm hoping that a nice wrap will be appropriate.


14 comments:

  1. Your skirt reminds me of growing up in the seventies -- and not in a bad way. I love that style. Diagonal plaid matching is definitely hard to do so I think two out of three ain't bad (Meatloaf!).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I was going for a vintage look. You don't really see bias plaid in stores anymore. I guess that's why I had to make it for myself!

      Delete
  2. It turned out fabulously! Well done!

    I want to hear about your knitted wrap - I've been working on one for myself. Well, rather working out the pattern. It's an upcoming blog post (or three, because I'll probably end up writing about other projects I stumbled on along the way).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's from one of this month's knitting magazines. Too lazy to walk upstairs and get the title, but I'll let you know later. It's really chunky and at least one other person in Cville has knit it because the Needle Lady people were able to look it up in their computer and tell me which yarn she had used.

      Delete
  3. That turned out beautifully. I think if I were looking at someone wearing a plaid skirt like that, I'd only really notice if there was a matching issue in the back or front. I do find it interesting, though, that one side seam can match so well, and then be impossible to match on the other side. How does that make any sense? :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was baffled. I could have gotten the other side to match, but then the center back would have been wrong. I manipulated the pattern pieces for ages and finally gave up.

      Delete
  4. I'm remembering (with painful clarity) a pair of red plaid (that non-symetrical kind) culottes I made in seventh grade. They even had that oddball flap hanging over the front so they could pass as a skirt. I really had no idea what I was doing, but I recall I did at least get the front pieces to match up horizontally. [Un]fortunately there are no pictures to confirm this! I actually sewed a lot of my own clothes back then. Practice makes, if not perfect, at least better! I did learn to leave plaids alone, though. That skirt is marvelous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those must have been something! And impressive for a seventh grader!

      Delete
  5. Nice! I'm afraid of zippers. You are my heroine. I don't even care that the plaids don't match.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It looks SO cute!
    ANd you made it yourself!
    And said "codpiece" in this post!
    <3

    ReplyDelete