Friday, January 02, 2015

Friday Reading Assignment: 2014 Recap

Here's a list of what I read in 2014.  There may be a book or two missing, as I wasn't always diligent about keeping up the list, but it's mostly complete.  I've linked back to my original post for any book I wrote about.  For those with no post, I've included a brief summary.



Slipstream by Elizabeth Jane Howard: This "reading assignment" got the most page views for 2014, probably because I wrote it shortly after EJH died.
The Goldfinch by Donna Tartt
Overdressed by Elizabeth L. Cline:  Why cheap fashion is bad.  Inspired me to start sewing my clothes and to be more mindful of clothing purchases.
What was Lost by Catherine O'Flynn.
Americanah by Chimananda Ngozi Adishie: That time I attempted to read the NY Times list of best books of 2013 and only got through one.
Life After Life by Kate Atkinson
Murder by the Book by Rex Stout:  Murder mystery starring the great Nero Wolfe
The Forest for the Trees by Betsy Lerner
The House that is our Own by O. Douglas
The Irresistible Henry House by Lisa Grunwald:  Somewhat tiresome novel about a boy raised as the "practice baby" in a domestic science college program.  For some reason, I thought this was the book version of The Talented Mr. Ripley, so I was sorely disappointed.
Dead Souls by Gogol
Lark Rise to Candleford by Flora Thompson:  I have since watched three seasons of the BBC TV series based on this book.  It's maudlin and silly but so strangely addicting that I have bumped season four to the top of my queue. Tom the postman needs to calm the fuck down, three seasons of Linda Bassett as "Queenie" is two and a half too many and I want to smack the smug smirk off of Laura's face.  But I do like Dorcas Lane and Minnie, and Brendan Coyle is way hotter as Robert Timmins than he is as John Bates of Downton Abbey.


Moving on...

The Sea Change by Elizabeth Jane Howard
The Innocents Abroad by Mark Twain
Nicholas Nickleby by Charles Dickens
Thirteen Gun Salute by Patrick O'Brian
Nutmeg of Consolation by Patrick O'Brian
The Truelove by Patrick O'Brian  These three Patrick O'Brian books are all part of his excellent Captain James Audrey and James Maturin.
Getting it Right by Elizabeth Jane Howard:  I hope to write a future post on this one.
Crime and Punishment by Fyodor Dostoyevsky
The Brothers Karamazov by Fyodor Dostoyevsky
The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
Prisoner's Base by Rex Stout  More Nero Wolf.  This one is of slightly higher caliber than his usual.
The Green Knight by Iris Murdoch  Future post coming.
The Wolves of Willoughby Chase by Joan Aiken  Fantastic children's book about the adventures of two girls who are turned out of their cushy life by an evil governess.
August Folly by Angela Thirkell: The middle class aristocracy of a British village attempts to put on a production of Hippolytus.
Ankle Deep by Angela Thirkell
High Rising by Angela Thirkell  Post coming.
Mary Russell Mitford and her Surroundings by Constance Hill
The Message to the Planet by Iris Murdoch  Eccentric intellectual becomes a Christ like cult figure.
The Book and the Brotherhood by Iris Murdoch  Group of friends come to terms with a man who has a strong influence on them.
Curtains for Three by Rex Stout  More Nero Wolfe.  I think this one was short stories.
Something in Disguise by Elizabeth Jane Howard
The Mystery of Edwin Drood by Charles Dickens
David Copperfield by Charles Dickens
The Woman in White by Wilkie Collins
The Moonstone by Wilkie Collins
Girl in a Blue Dress by Gaynor Arnold:  I dragged this all the way to Cape Town and it was ghastly, so I didn't actually finish it.  It's a novel about Charles Dickens' wife.
Old Man Goriot by Honore de Balzac
Servants by Lucy Lethbridge
After Julius by Elizabeth Jane Howard

6 comments:

  1. You've introduced me to SO many good books. I do appreciate your reviews and summaries.

    ReplyDelete
  2. After starting a Margaret Atwood book yesterday, I realized I think I read it before. But I can't remember. I think I might copy you and start keeping track of what I read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's really fun to look back on what you've read. I've been keeping a running list for years.

      Delete
  3. I love that Patrick O'Brian's series is being read by you. I am up to about number 15 in the series, so compelling.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love his books. Now I'm trying to get my son interested in them.

      Delete