Thursday, January 08, 2015

Patience's Test Kitchen: Kale Salad Bowls

Browsing for recipes online, (especially on Pinterest) is risky. I make a lot of food from recipes I've found on Pinterest, and most of the dishes land somewhere on the meh-to-fabulous scale.  (Crafts are a different story.)

I thought it would be fun to write a review whenever I try one of these recipes.  This is intended to be an honest assessment, not a snarkfest.  So, without further ado, I give you the Kale Salad Bowl from the blog I Will Not Eat Oysters.  I am not familiar with this blog, but the recipe appeared in my pinterest feed and it has all the hallmarks of trendy food of the twenty-teens: quinoa, sweet potatoes, KALE.

Ordinarily a main dish salad is something I would serve in the summer, but I found this recipe while I was suffering from post-Christmas guilt and decided to give it a try, and anyway, kale and sweet potatoes are wintry ingredients.  You start by roasting some sweet potatoes, which you've cubed and seasoned with salt and pepper.  I planned to make this dinner during the week, but I roasted the sweet potatoes and cooked the quinoa over the weekend to save time.

The meal came together easily, but it did dirty a lot of bowls: one bowl for the tahini dressing, another for the lemon dressing, a separate container for the roasted sweet potatoes (plus the pan they were roasted in) and another for the chick peas and yet two more for the kale and the quinoa. I served the feta in the container it came in. I hate having lots of bowls to wash, but keeping all the ingredients separate prevents the dreaded "leftover salad."  Anyway, you dress the kale and the chick peas each separately with the lemon dressing, and then you let each member of the family assemble his or her own bowl with all of the ingredients and drizzle with the tahini dressing.

My own very poorly lighted picture of this dish.  Phoebe destroyed my crappy point and shoot, so all I have is my tablet, which takes execrable pictures.



These turned out to be really good. Kale and sweet potato complement each other nicely and tahini and lemon also are nice with kale and quinoa and the feta cheese is the treat ingredient.  The kids and Jon approved.  I was worried that salad for dinner might leave us feeling hungry, but I was satisfied and nobody complained about not getting enough to eat.

I made half the amount of the lemon dressing, which turned out to be a good move, because the half recipe was perfectly adequate.  If I were to make this again, I would also halve the tahini dressing, because we ended up having a lot left over.

Overall, I think I will make this again.  It gets major virtue points and is also tasty.

2 comments:

  1. For a few months, I've been eating lunch salads that start with a blend of baby kale and spinach, then I add whatever happens to be in the fridge, which is often roasted vegetables from dinner the night before. Roasted sweet potatoes are one of my favorites. You're right, it is a surprisingly good combination. I think I know what I'm having for lunch today. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a similar recipe that's a bit of a go-to that involves quinoa, sweet potatoes, spinach and curry. There is protein in the quinoa, which is why it makes it all filling. I'll have to try this, as I need to be mindful of not overdoing it on the curry this time of year. (I made a curried pumpkin soup the other evening that was divine.)

    ReplyDelete