Monday, April 20, 2015

Pajama Pants Weekend

I finished sewing a pair of pajama pants. This was such a fun, low-stress project.  Pajama pants are probably the easiest garment of all.  I used KwikSew 2811, which is as basic as basic can be, but I added piped cuffs to make them more interesting.  I got the fabric at Les Fabriques, and the green gingham for the ties and piping is from my scrap stash.

KwikSew 2811



Yes, they are too big, but they're pajama pants, so who cares?  I seem to have a real phobia about sewing clothes that might be too small.  I cut the pants in a size larger than I really am, but then I noticed that Kwiksew allows only 1/4" seam allowance, so I sewed 1/2" seams, thinking that would somehow make everything right, but they are still a scosche bigger than I would like.  The buttonholes are a disgrace.  I really need to get reacquainted with my buttonholer.  It was behaving so eccentrically, I gave up and made the buttonholes (for the ties) by hand.

The self-fabric ties are kind of ghetto.  Next time I'll
use cloth tapes or a ribbon.

I shortened the pant legs, sewed piping to the bottoms,
and then added the cuffs.


I cropped out my feet.  You're welcome.

What else did I do this weekend?  I went to TRX & Core class on Saturday morning and stopped at the farmer's market on the way home.  It was as douchey and overcrowded as ever, but I bought a bag of baby mustard greens for Jon, who is doing a mung-bean-and-mustard-green cleanse.

I dragged my bike out of the basement and rode it over to Blue Wheel Bicycles for a tune up.  They're moving my office in a few weeks and it will be a little too far to walk to every day.  (Just over three miles.  I'll probably walk once in a while, but not every day.)  I'm a little out of practice with cycling and literally crashed into our bayberry bush, trying to power up the hill in our driveway.  My route to work will have ALL THE HILLS, so I need to get used to that.

I used to commute by bike when I worked as a nurse.  I appreciated the ten-minute commute, but cycling in the city of Charlottesville is like being a hunted animal.  The constant fear of being killed by a car eventually led me to abandon my bike and walk instead.  I'm not thrilled about experiencing that stress again, but the alternative is allowing my employer to dock my pay for the privilege of parking my car while I work.




Anyway, my bike will be ready on Friday, so next weekend, I'm going to do a practice ride to make sure it's really feasible to do this.  There really are some big hills to deal with.  The big traffic danger point will be at the corner of Cherry and Roosevelt Brown Blvd, where I will be going straight, but the majority of drivers are turning right to get to UVA.

7 comments:

  1. Cute pj pants!
    The market was especially douchy this past weekend, with Tom Tom fest and the Iron Chef contest going on. I caught part of it - my friend Martha was judging - but after about the first minute of the idiot that was 'color commentating', I realized I was in grave danger of showing him my knife skills if I stayed much longer.

    You are brave for biking. It scares the bejesus out of me in this town. That and having to go up Rose Hill if I want to go anywhere on bike has sealed the fact that my bike stays safely in the garage.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Rose Hill hill is steep! Ever since I bought a stick shift car, I have had to detour around the intersection of Rose Hill and Preston. I can't imagine taking it on a bike.

      Delete
    2. It's only within the last year that I found the courage to take my stick shift on the eastbound Cherry Ave hill!

      Delete
  2. The PJs are great. Nicely done.

    I popped over to the market this weekend, but left without produce, as I couldn't deal with the crowds.

    I don't blame you for not wanting to pay for parking, so I wish you the best of luck with the biking thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I kind of feel like an ass for refusing, when so many of my colleagues have no choice, but some of them are happy because parking is cheaper at the new building than it is if you have to park near grounds. There was talk of moving us way up 29 North, so I guess I should count my blessings that that didn't happen.

      Delete
  3. Cute pj pants!

    Maybe you can walk up one or two of the hills, to give yourself a breather? :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great pajama pants!
    From what you've written here in the past, it seems like C-ville is dangerous for walking AND driving. Maybe it's a college town thing? I recall being pushed off the road by a city bus in Seattle when I tried biking to work.

    ReplyDelete