Monday, June 22, 2015

Sackcloth and Ashes

My godfather, who sometimes experienced various mechanical failures of epic proportion had a saying: Everything I touch turns to shit.  Lately I've found occasion to use this phrase about some of my own endeavors.   My latest sewing project, to name one example.

The inspiration:  (Image from anthropologie)


The pattern:



The finished project:



I look super happy about my sackcloth


It's a small consolation that in the video, the anthropologie model looks just as pregnant as I do. 

The pattern, of course, is ridiculous, with its clownish tie, hideous fabric, and neckline hoisted up to the chin.   For such a simple design, it needed a lot of adjustments. I thought I could just sew it up and drop the neckline by a few inches by lengthening the cord,  but that resulted in armholes hanging open nearly to my waist.  The pattern has six panels: a front, a back, and two on each side.  I eliminated the side panels and widened the front and back pieces which did effectively shorten the armholes, but also created too much fullness in the center front and back.  

The dress is tragic.  It can't be worn out of the house.  Obviously.  It looks like a garment of penance, like something you'd wear if you were into mortification of the flesh. It needs a whip and a hair shirt. Ironing didn't help.  Belting actually made it look even more clumsy and home sewn.  Frankly, I'm discouraged, because this has to be the easiest dress in the world to make and I still managed to fuck it up.  I'm not sure what to do at this point other than to cut it up and make a sleeveless blouse or place mats.  (The fabric is a lovely linen from Les Fabriques.)




13 comments:

  1. Oh sewing fail....how I know thee well....the Liberty print dress I made myself that turned out to be a size too small. The black linen capri pants I made that turns out, the pattern sucked and I hate the pants, but like the dress before that, I spent so much freaking money on the fabric (both from Les Fabriques) that I actually have cried over it. I now make patterns from cheap fabric first, then cut into the good stuff.

    That said, I think the dress looks good. And comfortable. Hell, I'd wear it around the house, by the lake, etc, etc. It looks (to me) like the perfect summer house dress. Perhaps this is why my daughter describes my style as 'mostly homeless'?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Mostly homeless" LOL, but you don't look homeless. Actually, I saw a woman at the grocery store, who from her clothing style, I thought was you. (She had her face turned away, so I couldn't tell who it was.) Ultimately, it wasn't you, but she reminded me of you.

      Delete
  2. Place mats. You need the panels - in fact, 6 panels would be even better. That way it would drape more than just hang. I'm sorry - I do feel your pain. And, yes, you were correct in rejecting that pattern's neckline - it was horrifying.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right. I thought the panels were silly, but now I see that they distributed the fullness more effectively.

      Delete
  3. I think it looks fine for around the house or if you want to snag some of those "pregnant women only" parking spots.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would wear it around the house.
    Also, your hair looks marvelous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I got bangs recently and am still getting used to them.

      Delete
  5. Your hair does look great :-) I think that dress needs some sort of really silky-flowy fabric :-) I do love your description of it as a garment of penance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, in retrospect, the linen was a bit heavy, although it drapes beautifully.

      Delete
  6. Doesn't the dress get points for having pockets? I mean, POCKETS!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, yes, actually I am proud of the pockets.

      Delete
  7. I think it's just the curse of grey linen. On paper, in theory, it should look elegant and rich. In actual practice it looks cheap and frumpy every time I actually see people wearing it. It's not you.

    ReplyDelete