Wednesday, July 29, 2015

Hello from Wisconsin

Lucky me, I have been sent back to Epic for training in a different discipline.  So here I am in Wisconsin, where everybody is friendly and looks like they grew up on a farm and has an accent that is simply incapable of being mean or snooty. (I apologize for the generalizations, but honestly, everyone is so sincerely NICE here.)

I arrived Sunday and I leave tomorrow.  Monday was a difficult day.  Since my background is in English followed by nursing, I often feel like I'm faking it, now that I work in IT.  It's hard to be surrounded by smart people who all have genuine computing expertise.  Everyone you meet at Epic appears to be super smart and I got off on the wrong foot in class by sitting at a computer that didn't have the class materials set up for it, and I had already logged into my work email on the wrong computer. (Checking email is another no-no.)  But I got to have lunch with my Epic TS and he took me on a tour of Deep Space, the auditorium that seats 11,000 people and is situated six stories underground, so as not to interfere with the prairie views.  I saw Deep Space when I was here for a conference in 2013, but it wasn't completely finished then.

I am enjoying my temporary sojourn on the prairie.  The mountains of Virginia are beautiful, but sometimes they make me feel claustrophobic and trapped.  I prefer sunny, wide open spaces.  Tuesday was a better day and after class, I followed Epic's suggested self-guided tour of the prairie campus and then walked back to my hotel.  Today I have big plans to bike into downtown Madison after class.  (If I get up the nerve.  I'm a bit scared of getting lost.  It's a long way.)

The blogger app on my tablet is being a bore and froze when I tried to load more pictures, so these are all I have to share for now.  I'd like to post more photos later, because this is an extraordinarily beautiful place.

There's a working farm on the Epic campus which supplies the materials for the amazing food that is served there.


A view of the farm campus as seen from the prairie campus.

8 comments:

  1. Looks lovely. I sometimes wish I had to travel more for work, especially after my husband went to a conference earlier in the summer sponsored in part by Patron Tequila. He's quick to point out they were a minor sponsor, but still, I can't help but think I'm doing something wrong that I'm not invited to good tequila sponsored conferences.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A tequila-sponsored conference sounds really fun. Your lucky husband!

      Delete
  2. Since you're so close to us, I had to look the Epic Campus up --it looks fabulous on Google Maps :-) I also did a bike route on Maps from Epic to downtown Madison (they say an hour and 10 minutes, I wonder what speed they assume?). If you have a smart phone, you probably won't get lost --you can just keep the route on.

    I never ever want to travel for work --I find those situations so socially difficult, I'm just really awkward. I hope you have enough time to relax :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a bit socially awkward, although the other travelers here do seem to be very nice. I loaded the bike route onto my tablet and much of it is on a commuter bike trail, which I'm really happy about.

      Delete
  3. OH I would have totally driven down to visit you!
    Now when we drive past that place, I feel like I "know" it because of your posts. And it is in a lovely part of the state.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wasn't sure how far you are from here. We'll have to plan a get-together if I'm ever sent back!

      Delete
  4. I always found business meetings to be excruciatingly awkward. Then they stopped inviting me to attend (I wonder if it was the pained look on my face the whole time).

    It does look pretty where you are. I hope you enjoy the bike ride!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What an interesting place. An auditorium six stories underground and a farm up above. I went to grad school in Madison and I agree Wisconsin people are extra friendly.

    ReplyDelete