Thursday, September 24, 2015

Galway to Dublin

Day ten of our whirlwind tour of Ireland, we took a train from Galway to Dublin. This was Monday, September 21, if you're following along. It's about two and a half hours by train from Galway to Dublin.  It was a sunny day and the hot train car made me feel a little sleepy, so I missed some of the scenery, but what I did see of it was intensely green and lovely.

Our hotel was in a Georgian building in central Dublin on a "doors of Dublin" street, close to the Dublin Writers' Museum and the James Joyce Center.  Many museums are closed on Mondays, so we spent the afternoon walking around, trying to get a feel for Dublin. Geographically, it seems huge, and we walked what felt like forever without really getting anywhere.  To get a sense of Dublin, you need to find a vista with a long view--such as one of the many bridges over the river Liffey.  Pause and see the long avenues of Georgian buildings and their colorful doors.

Eventually we ended up at the Jameson distillery, but the fifteen euro per person admission fee put us off.  We did stop in the bar and shared an expensive but delicious whiskey sour.  Truth be told, we were exhausted. The go-go-go nature of the trip had caught up with us and Jon hurt his back on our hike through Dingle and walking on the hard Dublin pavements wasn't helping.  After dinner, we went to bed early with hopes of getting back enough energy to enjoy our last two days.

As I publish this, we're back in the US, at JFK, waiting to board our flight to Washington.  I still have two more days to write about, plus share any photos on my "good" camera, since while we were traveling, I could only put photos taken with my tablet into my posts.  You can see other photos (if you're interested) by clicking on the instagram button on my home page.

A Dublin street

4 comments:

  1. Will you be doing a photo dump post of your travels? I hope so!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm looking forward to hearing about your last days --isn't it always the case when you go somewhere like this that there's always too much to do to fit it all in?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your post reminds me of my husband and I and our visit to Dublin many years ago, to visit the James Joyce sites. We traveled by taxi to find them and they were not very well known at the time. I am glad to hear there is a James Joyce Center now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know what you mean about hitting that travel wall. But still, Dublin has a wonderful whiskey quality to it.

    ReplyDelete