Wednesday, November 11, 2015

On the Nightstand

Let's take a look at what's on my nightstand lately.


I apologize for this dark picture

A Woman's Work is Never Done: A history of housework in the British Isles 1650-1950 by Caroline Davidson.  (1982) I love books about housework and domestic life.  This one is a bit dry, but still very interesting and has a great selection of illustrations.

Eating in America by Waverly Root and Richard de Rochemont (1976)

Pure Pleasure: a Guide to the 20th Century's Most Enjoyable Books by John Carey (2000)

A Reader's Delight by Noel Perrin (1988)  I am reading this now and it truly is a delight. Beautiful little essays about obscure books you've never heard of and will immediately want to read.

Assorted Prose by John Updike (1965)  Essays

A Book of Mediterranean Food by Elizabeth David (1958)  David's first cookbook, written during the period of austerity in Great Britain after World War II, and meant to be a sort of consolation and vicarious thrill, since most of the ingredients were unavailable.

In Pategonia by Brush Chatwin (1977)  A classic of travel literature

Come Back, Wherever You are by Lenora Mattingly Weber (1969)  The last book in the Beany Malone series.

All Change by Elizabeth Jane Howard (2013)  The final book (published much late than the others and shortly before the author's death) in the superb Cazalet series.  I had difficulty finding it for some reason and had to order a copy (used, I always buy used) all the way from the UK.

The Education of Henry Adams by Henry Adams (1907)  Henry Adams was the great-grandson of John Adams and this is a memoir of sorts.  I am reading this now and I have to admit it's a bit dull.

6 comments:

  1. I'm almost done with my Eleanor Marx biography. Up next, I have the Elvis Costello memoir Edie bought me for my birthday, "Circling the Sun" by Paula McLain about Beryl Markham (apparently the first woman to fly solo across the Atlantic, among other things). New cookbooks I'm perusing are Alice Water's "My Pantry" and "Asian Pickles" by Karen Solomon. Both are new and have been getting rave reviews, so I'm a little excited to sit down with them after finding them on the new shelves at the library.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like this list.

    Those books are waiting in the shadows, ready to leap out at the unsuspecting reader.

    I just finished "The Invention of Wings" by Sue Monk Kidd. It was very good, I thought.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am reading Just Mercy (non-fiction) today, and it is marvelous! It's written by a lawyer who works for justice for Death Row inmates in the South.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have a grand array of books on different topics and in different genres. I do that too, to keep it interesting. I think A Reader's Delight sounds like a book I would like.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love posts like this! It sounds like A Woman's Work is Never Done would be perfect to read alongside Jane Austen next month (or whenever I finish Last Chronicle). A Reader's Delight sounds wonderful, too, but would definitely be dangerous for my wish list.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like some interesting brain food on that shelf. I have just finished "My Grandmother Asked me to Tell You she's Sorry" by Fredrik Backman and it was fantastic.

    ReplyDelete