Thursday, July 28, 2016

Life Lately

This summer is passing way too quickly. I'm not a fan of hot weather and insects, but after eighteen years in the south, I've become somewhat acclimated. The increased daylight and absence of school responsibilities more than offset the heat and humidity. I am not a mother who rejoices when school starts again. Here are a few life updates from the Patience Crabstick household.

Seamus has had his permit for over a year but had not progressed very far in his driving skills, mainly because of my own terror of letting a teenager drive a stick shift in a hilly town like Charlottesville. I know tons of parents in Cville who taught their kids to drive on a stick shift, but I seem to be impaired in this respect even though I love driving stick shift myself. So we bought an old Volvo station wagon from one of the local firemen and Seamus loves it and has been driving me on all my errands and his driving skills have improved a lot. He will have his license before long!

Grace also had an old Volvo that has served her well for nearly four years, but it died spectacularly in the middle of Broad Street in Richmond and it was immediately apparent that it would never drive again. She had named it "Gil". Can we have a moment of silence for Gil the Volvo who carried my daughter safely between Richmond and Charlottesville and who, even when his engine was boiling hot and seizing and smoking and drained of oil, managed to carry her to within a block of her apartment. He had 300,000 miles on him. Poor Gil, the faithful Volvo!

There has been some drama secondary to her purchase of a new car for herself. I can't give details because we are considering how to proceed in the face of what appears to be blatant fraud.  The state police are now involved. I'll just say this: if a car you are considering has a passing inspection sticker on the windshield, make sure you also check the inspection form that should be in the car.

What else? I know you will roll your eyes, but I am planning a week of intensive house cleaning and I'm as excited about it as if I were about to embark on a vacation.  Seamus and I have been working on the world's most difficult jigsaw puzzle, and I have been knitting a sweater for Seamus and would like to knit some dishcloths because homemade knitted dishcloths are the best. Some exciting life I lead!






11 comments:

  1. Tell me please what yarn you use for dishcloths. I am intrigued. And tired of making scarves, now that I no longer want to make sweaters.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bought 100% cotton worsted-weight yarn from The Needle Lady downtown. I don't have the label any more, so I don't know the brand, but I'm going to buy more, so I'll let you know. I got three dish clothes out of the skein I did buy, two of which were stocking stuffers for my daughters.

      Delete
  2. I know your comment is not directed at me and I'm looking forward to her answer too, but I use cotton and love it. Dish cloths are fun because there are so many patterns and are quick knits :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! I have found tons of free patterns on Pinterest.

      Delete
  3. I hope you get the car fraud situation settled ASAP. I am looking forward to intensive house cleaning and getting rid of stuff once my kids are back in school/college next month. I have a psychological block and can't seem to do it when they're around even if they're not in the way.

    I'm also going to resume nagging my ex-husband to Get His Crap out of my basement.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have been told that "corrective action" is going to proceed against the inspection station that issued the false sticker. We're still stuck with the car though and will need to subpoena everybody involved if we want to go to small claims court.

      Delete
  4. I love knitting dish cloths! Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Taking a whole week off to clean - that's my kind of excitement. I've only taken time off to go berry picking and to can lately.

    I've recently noticed a new crop of teen drivers in our neighborhood and recognized that my girl is NEXT, which is a horrifying thought. She has her heart set on learning to drive the old pick up truck, which I find the clutch to be hard and I've been driving standard for 30 years. So we'll see. She certainly will master hills trying to get in & out of the neighborhood.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seamus has been able to drive a stick OK within the confines of certain large, level parking lots around town. Just getting out of our driveway, though is a challenge in a stick shift. Grace progressed to driving herself home from the downtown mall with the stick shift, but then she got her volvo. Now that she's a confident driver in general, she could probably master a stick shift pretty quickly.

      Delete
  6. I have a terror of my youngest child driving ANY kind of car. I wasn't this way with the older two. I learned how to drive on a stick-shift but that was in a relatively flat town.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Practice does make a better driver, glad Seamus has his groove!
    Poor Gil, RIP faithful car.
    Hope you sort out the icky business of criminal behavior and get a super clean house super fast so you can get back to the fun stuff (like puzzles!).

    ReplyDelete