Thursday, September 29, 2016

Running Away

If my recent past were a Seinfeld episode, it would go something like this: "My family left one too many messes for me to clean; yadda yadda yadda; I ended up wandering around a Reykjavik municipal building, having mistaken it for a museum. Could happen to anyone. (I thought I was in the National Museum of Iceland. It had a large relief map of Iceland and a small gallery of paintings and after finding no other museum-type stuff, I approached the woman at the information desk and said, "Where should I start?" I was met with a blank stare, so I clarified, "I mean to see the exhibits. Where's the best place to start viewing the exhibits?" She said, "This is Reykjavik City Hall." So that was embarrassing. But also good, because the building sucks as a museum, but as a city hall, it's pretty rad. Too bad I didn't bump into the mayor of Reykjavik, who I've read is something of a sex symbol.)

Reyjavik City Hall


But to backtrack, last spring, life was pretty miserable* and one morning I thought, "Why not run away from all of this and go to Iceland?" Of course it was impossible. I couldn't selfishly take a vacation by myself while my family languished at home, but the idea of Iceland was stuck in my head. And then a miracle happened: our whole family was invited to visit a friend in Germany. It would have been difficult for all six of us to do this, so I volunteered to stay home and take care of the dogs so that Jon and the kids could go. And I would get to go to Iceland, alone.

It turns out that solo travel is a thing for women my age. Middle aged men buy a sports car, middle-aged women grab a backback. And for years, I've thought about doing just this: buying a ticket somewhere and taking off on my own. Why Iceland? I have been really interested in it for a long time. It's geologically fascinating, it's beautiful, and it has a long and interesting history. I requested the time off from work, bought a ticket, arranged accommodations, and the trip was set. I'll write about my adventures there in the next few posts. I'll just say, I was quite nervous about this trip, but none of my fears were realized and it was an amazing getaway from start to finish. (There was a disaster at the end, but I was already back on US soil by the time it happened.)

*It wasn't just about messes. There's a lot of really stressful stuff in my life that I don't blog about.


9 comments:

  1. It sounds lovely and a I'm quite jealous of an entire trip to yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. First off, I think you are wonderful and brave for traveling so far by yourself! Second off, why does that building look like it is partially submerged in a lake? Interesting placement for a city hall.

    I am very much looking forward to hearing more about Iceland. My husband wants to go there. Unfortunately for him, he is depending on me to make all travel arrangements, but it just isn't happening right now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is built on the edge of a lake in the middle of downtown Reykjavik. You have to cross a bridge over the water to get to the main entrance. It's a pretty cool design.

      Delete
  3. Iceland sounds like a wonderful destination; those Icelandic ponies (I read you can do pony treks), the hot springs, etc. I look forward to your posts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw plenty of Icelandic horses the day I toured the Golden Circle, but I didn't ride any. Next trip!

      Delete
  4. Iceland has become quite the travel destination -- you are the third person I know of who has gone this year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There were a ton of tourists there, even this late in the season. A guide told me that it's crazy at Christmas too.

      Delete
  5. I'm rubbing my hands with glee in anticipation of reading these posts.

    ReplyDelete