Tuesday, September 06, 2016

Yarn Bombed

Our park has been yarn bombed. It started a few weeks ago, when a cluster of trees on one side of the park were seen to be wearing jaunty knitted tubes. Since then, a few more trees each week have received the same treatment. The identity of the Belmont Park yarn bomber is unknown. Actually, a few of my neighbors have seen the yarn bomber in action, but it isn't anyone I know and I wouldn't want to betray the person's identity.  Indeed, a couple of people assumed it was me, because I'm known to knit and to live near the park. It's not me, I assure you, but I think it's an awesome project.


Are you familiar with yarn bombing? It originated in Houston, Texas but has now spread worldwide. Wikipedia describes it as a form of graffiti. I see it as performance art. If it is graffiti, it's benign, since the yarn does no harm and can easily be removed. It certainly makes a statement and I have been mulling the potential of yarn bombing as a form of civil protest. Imagine the most egregiously ugly civic or commercial eyesore in your community. Wouldn't it be satisfying to cover it with a colorful knitted tea cozy? Imagine Donald Trump muffled by a giant knitted tea cozy. There are some tempting possibilities for this treatment here in Charlottesville.






I wonder if the yarn bomber has enough yarn to do this enormous oak?


What would you yarn bomb if you could? (I'm particularly curious to hear what Charlottesville readers would choose.)

7 comments:

  1. The entire f*@&%ing unfinished hotel on the DT Mall. What an eyesore...and dangerous to boot. I'm always afraid something else is going to fall off of it and hit me on the head when I walk by it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hah, that's a good one. A bit ambitious though...

      Delete
  2. Lee Park was yarn bombed during the tom tom fest last spring and I personally thought the leg warmers on Traveller (Lee's horse) should be permanent. (Additionally, I thought the White Flags, another friend's project) surrounding the controversial statue should stay too).

    I participated in a yarn bombing for an exhibit at Kluge-Ruhe, but it was done in colors of the Australian flag, so I knit a rather boring black stocking knit swatch. I'd like to participate in another with a little more freedom to be creative or at the very least, use up my stash! I've also been pondering doing something around my neighborhood. I'm pretty sure Greenleaf Park could use some yarn bombing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How did I miss the legwarmers? I guess I'm not downtown as much as I used to be.

      Delete
  3. They may have only been up for the weekend. I got some shots on my phone, but it was so bright and sunny, they can be hard to read. I'll send them to you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This makes me so happy! May need to yarn bomb Crozet.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Our town could benefit from a little yarn bombing. It's a safe place to live but dull as anything. I'd like to live where people knit for public decoration.

    ReplyDelete