Friday, November 11, 2016

No Room for Unity

On Election Night, I fell asleep before the winner was declared, although I stayed up long enough to realize that things were not looking good for Hilary Clinton. When I woke up at 4:45 am on Wednesday, I checked my phone and the universe played one of its most cruel jokes on me. Because the first thing I saw was a tweet giving Hilary Clinton 312 electoral votes, so for a brief moment, I thought it had turned out OK after all. Then I saw all the tweets declaring Trump the victor, and a wave of horror left me nearly incapacitated. Realizing the full extent of the disaster was truly like reliving the morning of September 11, 2001.  And finally came the insult on top of the injury: calls for "unity." At that terrible moment, as the reality of president-elect Trump sank in, the last thing I wanted to hear about was unity.

Unity, in this context, means shutting your mouth while the Trump administration runs this country the KKK way. I'm not interested in finding common ground between myself and people who think a man who claimed a woman wasn't attractive enough for him to sexually assault is an appropriate choice for President of the United States.

After the calls for unity came plaintive comments from Trump voters, saying that we were sore losers, that we were not respecting their point of view. Trump supporters have actually been complaining about "hatred" coming from Clinton supporters. If you voted for this Day-Glo Pinochet, you do not get to ascend a moral high horse about anything, least of all, hatred. Where was your anti-hatred rhetoric when your candidate labeled Mexicans as rapists; called for Hitleresque treatment of Muslims?

Here is what the very first day after the election brought us.




I have no interest in being conciliatory to anyone who voted for this; to aiding Trump supporters in feeling less bad about themselves because they brought this disaster onto the American people. I have pledged to myself that I will do whatever is in my power to undermine Donald Trump, and to that end, I've donated money to Planned Parenthood, to the local Sexual Assault Resource Center, and to the Southern Poverty Law Center. I've committed to join in the Million Woman March on Washington DC in January. I will take advantage of any opportunity that comes my way to protest and block the actions of this puffed-up liar.

Trump supporters do not deserve to have their feelings protected. What they deserve is exactly what they voted for - Donald Trump.

17 comments:

  1. Yes to everything you said here. I still have that feeling of a wave of horror.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a nightmare that's going to affect all of us, including the cretins calling for unity.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My husband is looking to the bright side - he's got 4 years of serious battles to save our drinking water in store for him and he keeps telling me, "think of the great punk rock we're about to have". Meanwhile, our girl cried herself to sleep last night. I'm somewhere inbetween, baking and cleaning to keep myself busy, although I was asked last night if it was necessary to bake something EVERY DAY. Right now, yes, yes I do.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, and at least one of the high schools in PA that had incidents are in the town I grew up in. I wish I could say I'm shocked, but I'm not. I've not unfriended anyone (yet), but I have hidden people in my facebook feed this election and every single one of them was from my high school.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not categorically unfriending everyone I know to be a Trump supporter, but I have unfriended a few who have been particularly vitriolic.

      Delete
  5. Thank you for writing this. I am struggling to find a way to respond to this horrifying election. The people who are coming out as Trump voters on my FB feed are complaining that people are upset ("put your big boy pants on") while the Hillary voters are posting pictures of kittens and "we must love each other" memes. And that they are terrified that they will lose their health insurance. My feed is filled with people like me, who are living with stage IV cancer, and some of them are very vulnerable.

    Today it's ok to be angry. I can't live in a state of anger, however, and I'm struggling to find a meaningful path forward for the rest of my life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All of us right-thinking people will support each other and pull together!

      Delete
  6. thank you for saying all the right things!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I feel the rage and disgust and anger, too.
    I vowed to send every dollar we normally spend on the local privileged white people who voted for this man (football booster club, FFA and so forth) to people who NEED it most. I'm so done pitching in with the vile haters around her. Simply cannot abide knowing that they voted for him 2 to 1 in my town. ARGH.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think supporting charities is a good way to fight. They have the staff and skills to accomplish a lot. I intend to focus all my future donations to groups that support women's rights, LGBT issues, poverty, vulnerable populations, and the environment.

      Delete
  8. My local [mostly white student body] high school (where I graduated, and my kids graduated) is all over the internet now because a teen passed out fake deportation notices (they looked pretty official) to students of international heritage. Of course his defense is that it was "just a joke". LOL, right?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sorry. It hurts to see behavior like that in a place you know. I was deeply grieved to see my college in the news because students used a black doll to create racially offensive images. Luckily, many more students were outraged, and the administration acted swiftly to suspend the students and communicate to the student and alumni community.

      Delete
  9. Thank you for your strong reaction that seems like good common sense. We must be strong, brave, and caring in the face of the ugliness that is out there. And baking every day, yes, that is one good way to heal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, baking! And knitting. Trump can't stop knitters.

      Delete