Tuesday, January 03, 2017

Introspection

If January had a color, it would be white. That's probably something that everyone in the world has already thought of. I'm just slow on the uptake, as usual. But seriously, besides the snow and the monochrome winter light, January is a blank slate and a fresh start. I know it's a cliche, but I love starting the year with a bunch of resolutions, even knowing full well I won't keep them. My diet cleanse started today, actually. For the next three days, I will eat nothing but miso soup, seaweed, tofu, greens, sardines, turmeric, and copious amounts of water.

In addition to the figurative fresh start, I like the summary of the year - both reading those of other people, and writing my own. Despite the global catastrophes, 2016 was a much better year for me, personally, than 2015, which was a long string of crises. The trip to Ireland was great, but other than that 2015 sucked, massively. In 2016, I ascended the steep learning curve of my new job. It was also the year that I finally sought professional help for my depression. I read a lot of good books, I went to Iceland, and enjoyed another year of watching my children mature into lovely adults.

Here's a little photo summary of the year, taken from Instagram, so I apologize if you've seen these already.

Our one big snowstorm of the year.

A photo posted by Aileen Bartels (@aileenbartels) on


I knit myself a sweater.
A photo posted by Aileen Bartels (@aileenbartels) on


We painted a chalkboard wall in our kitchen.

A photo posted by Aileen Bartels (@aileenbartels) on


My daughter Brigid graduated from art school.

A photo posted by Aileen Bartels (@aileenbartels) on

I went to Buffalo.

A photo posted by Aileen Bartels (@aileenbartels) on

For my 30th high school reunion

A photo posted by Aileen Bartels (@aileenbartels) on

Jon broke his foot.

A photo posted by Aileen Bartels (@aileenbartels) on

I went on a solo trip to Iceland.

A photo posted by Aileen Bartels (@aileenbartels) on

A video posted by Aileen Bartels (@aileenbartels) on


And caught a norovirus on the flight home. (I literally threw up about a minute after taking this picture.)

A photo posted by Aileen Bartels (@aileenbartels) on

We burned Donald Trump in effigy.

A photo posted by Aileen Bartels (@aileenbartels) on

And voted for Hilary Clinton.

A photo posted by Aileen Bartels (@aileenbartels) on

I knit these mittens for my brother:

A photo posted by Aileen Bartels (@aileenbartels) on


And these for my sister-in-law

A photo posted by Aileen Bartels (@aileenbartels) on


I took a lot of long walks through Charlottesville

A photo posted by Aileen Bartels (@aileenbartels) on


A photo posted by Aileen Bartels (@aileenbartels) on


The vacant lot next door was finally sold and a house put on it. (A big deal for us, because we've been living next to that vacant lot for seventeen years.)

A photo posted by Aileen Bartels (@aileenbartels) on

My plan for 2017 is to yarnbomb my world with anti-Trump signs. I hope other knitters do the same. Perhaps 2017 will be the year I start a second, secret career as a street artist. #yarnbombtrump

A photo posted by Aileen Bartels (@aileenbartels) on




5 comments:

  1. I'm in awe of your knitting. I'm still working on that pair of socks I started back in October. I'm just not fast at all. If I start now, I could probably have a yarn bomb ready by the end of the year....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish I could knit but every time I've tried I'm all thumbs. My mother knits but refuses to do anything with nice yarn and then wonders why things pill so quickly.

    I'm trying to eat better in 2017 but still fear miso.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I greatly admire your ability to make things! The sweater, the mittens, the chalkboard wall - well done. And I am so glad that you did the burning in effigy thing. It needed to be done.

    ReplyDelete
  4. All that knitting! Beautiful work! And swell to see that chalkboard cured.
    What a fun looking reunion crowd. I wish I'd gone to an all-girls' school.
    White. I never thought of that, so you beat me to the idea at least.
    How are your new neighbors? That's a very Jen-on-the-edgy house they built. But it looks very compact.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We haven't met her, but we've had emails from her realtor. She wanted one of our fences taken down. She wants our large old walnut tree to be cut down. We just hope she isn't constantly demanding stuff from us. Just moved here from California, apparently.

      Delete