Monday, June 05, 2017

A Birthday and a Protest

You're probably getting bored with my protest recaps, so I'll be brief. I have been to more protests since January (six total) than I have in my entire life. It's getting to be addicting. This time it was the March for Truth, a nationwide protest to demand a thorough investigation into the ties between the Trump campaign, his administration, and the Russian government. The idea of the march was conceived before Trump fired FBI director James Comey and the subsequent appointment of Robert Mueller as special counsel for the investigation. Still, the Trump administration seems to be trying to find new ways to obstruct the process, which means it's all the more important that the truth come out.

So that was the object of this march, which occurred the day after Brigid's birthday, so my son Ian and I drove to Richmond to attend the march with Brigid and my other daughter Grace and then celebrate Brigid's birthday. Jon and Seamus were both working and couldn't come with us.

We walked from Brigid's house in the Oregon Hill neighborhood of Richmond, to the state capitol building. We got there late because I'm a protest veteran now and most of the speeches at the pre-march rallies are a lot of people all saying the same thing. They had a whole hour dedicated to speeches, but fifteen minutes was plenty. We ran into Tom Periello, formerly our congressman and now running for governor of Virginia. We all shook hands and I idiotically said, "It's nice to meet you Tom Periello."

Then we marched through downtown Richmond, shouting the usual anti-Trump slogans. My kids' favorite was, "We need a leader, not a creepy tweeter!" At the end of the march, a lot of us stayed on Broad Street and shouteded our slogans at the passing traffic. Many drivers honked in solidarity. Go to Style Weekly for the full story - the kids and I are in the foreground of their picture!

We rested at Brigid's for a bit and ate birthday cake, and later went to The Black Sheep, one of our favorite restaurants in RVA. If you're ever in Richmond, I recommend it highly!

Getting ready to march

Brigid made this sign



Brigid with another protester with an earth-themed sign.


Brigid's cat, Binky, who enjoys wearing accessories.

The marches continue. Next weekend is the Equality March in Washington, with sister marches around the country, including one in Charlottesville. (And Buffalo too!) We have friends coming that day, so I might not make it. Anyone planning to march for equality?

(I promise that the next couple of posts will not be political!)

3 comments:

  1. Binky needs a modeling contract. I don't know what to say about everything else other than I'm angry and dismayed that things are as bad as they are.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it's great you keep protesting. Rock on.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am very encouraged to read your protest recaps. Keep 'em coming!

    I protested in the March for Truth Pittsburgh. Given Trump's statement about "Pittsburgh not Paris", our insistence that Pittsburgh does not support pulling out of the Paris Accord was added as a theme, and I think it drew more people because of that. One news report claimed that 2,000 people were there, but another said "hundreds". In any case, it gave me a psychological boost, although I find it physically difficult to attend a march/rally.

    ReplyDelete