Monday, October 30, 2017

Porch Project Update #3

First, a reminder of what the porch looked like before I started.


The entire time I spent preparing and priming the porch, I was mentally dithering about what color to paint it. (Or if I should paint it at all. I considered an acid stain.) The floor was red when we bought the house, and back then, the house was tan with a red roof, and no bricks in the front yard. Now, with the yellow house, green roof, bricked-over front yard and cobalt planters, red seemed wrong. I also wanted to do some kind of painted decoration - a stencil or faux rug or something of that sort. It has been my lifelong dream to paint a diamond checkerboard on a floor, and for weeks, I was committed to a diamond checkerboard porch. But that left me with the added difficulty of choosing two colors. Ultimately, I came to the conclusion that the front of my house is busy enough without adding a checkerboard porch. My final decision on color was black - but not a true black, more of a deep blue-black charcoal. I selected Inkwell by Sherwin Williams which looks quite blue in the can, but dries to black.


After all the work that went into the prep, painting the floor was a breeze.


Very very very very very dark blue.

To add a little interest, I decided to paint a single contrast stripe around the perimeter. Taping off the stripe was pretty difficult. I couldn't manage the chalk line, so then I just hand-measured (and eyeballed in a few spots) a one-inch stripe around the perimeter of the porch. I realized in hindsight that it would have been so much easier if I'd painted a wide swath of the contrast color first, then put down a single strip of tape and painted the black over it. 



The inside corners were particularly difficult.




I was so excited to pull the tape off! I'm pretty pleased with the result. The tape pulled away bits of the black paint, but I retouched it. I know the line isn't perfect, but it's good enough for me. The wider margin on the side closest to the bricks was done on purpose, to clear the posts, but I didn't want that wide of a margin all the way around.




This project isn't finished yet. Now I'm figuring out how to furnish and style it. I intend to use furniture that I already own. Also still need to protect this paint with some sealer.

Also, for those wondering, Jon is recovering. No new health emergencies and he has been able to return to work. Mobility is still a challenge, but he's getting around better than he was at first.

10 comments:

  1. It looks great. I love that dark color. Glad to hear Jon is doing better. Not being able to get around gets old fast.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks great! Can you believe how much better you feel walking in the front door? That's what always amazes me - how I didn't realize just how much a mess was making me tense up until I get rid of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! After a while, the mess becomes invisible, yet it's also invisibly affecting you.

      Delete
  3. Wow, you did a brilliant job and I like the contrast color idea. Now I want to do this with my front cement area near my door.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful color, exactly the same as the carbon black powder we use for the base of our clay-straw lime-coated summerhouse (traditional building style in the south of Sweden, Denmark, Germany and other areas where timber was scarce). It dries to a lighter sort of steely blue though.

    Lovely job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cool! I'm going to google that so I can see some pictures of these houses. I do love a lot of Scandinavian architecture and home decorating styles.

      Delete
  5. The porch looks GREAT! And I bet if you had done the contrast color first, it would not have looked as sharp as this does.

    ReplyDelete